Monday, April 1, 2013

Windy Monday

The good news is I got my wheel back from the bike shop on Friday.  They replaced the 2 broken spokes and trued it up for me.  I put it on and did some cruising around the block with the kids over the weekend.  All seems to be well, at the moment, but I truly believe for long lasting durability I am going to need to build up a new rear wheel.

This morning I did a nice 8 mile ride despite 20 mph winds.  Again, the bike seems OK, but I just don't trust that rear wheel not to throw a spoke.

From some preliminary discussions with the guys at Pro Cyclery, I think a 36 spoke wheel should do it.  They are talking about possibly doing a 4x weave instead of a 3x which would distribute the point load across additional spokes. Not sure which rim and hub we will go with as yet, but the budget will be fairly tight.

I just realized that in less than 4 weeks I will be riding in the Las Vegas Tour De Cure.  I can't wait to do the ride, but I have got to get some more miles under my belt between now and then.  My longest ride so far this year has only been 18 miles.  That's just over half the distance of the TDC.  I want to do all I can to help eradicate this disease.  If you haven't done so, please contribute to help find a cure here.

No comments:

Post a Comment