Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Beautiful Saturday ride...

Sunny, temperatures in the low 70's, a light wind all make for a wonderful day for a ride. So, that's what I did.  There were quite a few other cyclists out enjoying the beautiful weather this morning.

I decided to head out towards Red Rock, west on Blue Diamond and then North on Hwy 159.  I wasn't sure how far I would make it, so I decided to ride out for an hour and then turn around and head back home.  Surprisingly I felt pretty good and made it all the way to Bonnie Springs Ranch.  Total distance was 20.4 miles.  My farthest ride in 2 years!

The bike did well.  I still don't trust it yet and can't wait for my new rear wheel so I can trust it.  Jay over at ProCyclery helped me spec out the wheel and I can't wait for it to come in.  We have put together what I think will be a fairly bulletproof wheel.  Of course to get that durability, it costs money.  In this case its almost the cost of the bike.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you had a nice ride! I totally understand about not trusting the bike; been there. Once you break a spoke (or a few spokes) once, you're paranoid.

    Hope that new wheel works out for you and you can ride happy again soon!

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I can't wait for the new wheel. Hope you are able to get some outside miles in on the bike and no more trainer this year!

      Dan.

      Delete
  2. Dan! Twenty miles! It keeps gettin' easier, as you are finding out. As far as the upgrades go, that's one of the beautiful things about bicycles. They're like cheap hotrods. I bought my darlin' '81 Schwinn Super LeTour for twenty dollars and a pint of rum. Right now I have kinda-sorta quit counting, but I've got at least $300 in her. The best money I have ever spent in my life; and trust me when I tell you that I have spent a lot of money in my life.

    And I'm not done. There is still a Brooks saddle and a new Tiagra derailleur in her future and some rando racks and lights and...well, one thing in my life as a carpenter that I never felt guilty about was money spent on quality tools. That's guilt-free spending. Bicycles, for me, are the same. My bicycle is my get-away vehicle and my trusted companion and one of the reasons I am still alive. She deserves every penny I spend to keep her on the job. It's the least I can do.

    yer buddy,
    tj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tools are definitely worth the investment. I was hoping, when I got this bike that I could do some upgrades over time. I just don't like that I was forced to do some of them already just to keep her functioning. The good news is I love the ride and the geometry of the frame and I know once I get everything situated, I will enjoy the ride for many years.

      I've been looking at those Brooks saddles, especially after reading Clive Chapman's blog about how he has one on each of his bikes. That's down the road a ways, yet.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Dan.

      Delete
  3. Dan,

    Sounds like a great ride, and a respectable distance as well. It's good to see you're getting out there.

    The weather has finally turned here, and I've been out three times in the last week. Need to start getting some real mileage now.

    Keep on riding!

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT was a great ride and I'm looking forward to more.

      Glad to hear your weather is finally improving and you've been able to get out there.

      Dan

      Delete