Saturday, March 23, 2013

Broken spokes

I decided today, that despite the cooler temps (only in the mid 40's) and the stronger wind (10 to 20 mph with higher gusts) that I still needed to get out and ride.  So I did just that.  It didn't start out too bad despite not having my cycling gloves.  Shortly after hitting Blue Diamond road a cyclist passed me (without so much as a 'Hi' or 'on your left' by the way) and it enticed me to pick up the pace for a bit to try and stay with him.

The wind was a bit of a combination crosswind/tailwind and I was feeling pretty good, but never really warmed up.  I never found a decent rhythm either and within a quarter mile or so realized that trying to give chase wasn't the best of ideas.

I slowed back to my 'normal' (slow) pace and I was making progress but it was slower going than I would have thought it should be.  I had expended more energy than I thought and I ended up resting a few miles from home.

Shortly after my rest another cyclist passed me and I ended up sliding off the pavement into the gravel.  I didn't go do or anything but it made me think that today wasn't a good day to ride.  I decided to just keep going as I wanted to do at least 15 miles today.  Once I hit Highway 159 and made the turn, I stopped for another quick rest to catch my breath.  I decided that getting to the Gypsum mine was my goal for the day.

30 yards later that plan changed when I heard a noise and looked down to my by rim to see a wobble.  At least one of my spokes had broken.

I quickly decided that was enough for the day, but not wanting to call for a pick up, I decided to just nurse the bike home on the downhill leg of the ride.  The wobble meant the rear brakes were rubbing and keeping my speed in check anyway, so I more or less coasted home.

Total distance was only 9.25 miles and total time was 1:01.  9 mph average.

I'm really starting to think these 700 c wheels on the Diamondback are not for me right now.  Maybe after I lose 100 lbs, but they just don't seem to stand up to the stress currently.

4 comments:

  1. Are you running a 36 spoke rim? I don't think I know what you are riding...I mean, I see that it is a Diamondback. I broke spokes also until I put the new mavic 36 spoke wheel on. But breaking spokes, Dan, is (in an odd way) a good thing. Yer out there and the more you get out there and the longer distances you ride stuff starts happening. Things wear out. That's why I like bicycles so much: they are relatively easy to work on and parts, compared to cars, are cheap. Whatever the case, get it put back together quick as you can: it is VERY easy to lose momentum over repairs and weather.

    I would be interested in hearing more about the bike and the next steps you take as far as wheel choice and also where your gloves were. In 40 degrees I'm wearing both my shirts and a sweater and a leather jacket and definitely my gloves!

    tj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJ,

      Thanks for stopping by!

      I just checked and its only a 32 spoke rim. I'm realizing now that while the LBS tried to help me out by getting me a double walled "STA-TRUE" rim, its just not a good match for the load I place on it by being over 400 lbs. I've only put less than 300 miles on the rim since I got it last year. I think they really were trying to give me a good solution, within my budget, but its just not working out too well. I even had the wheel trued a second time about 135 miles ago. The ironic bit is the name of the LBS - Broken Spoke Bikes.

      As I'm going through more and more challenges with this bike, I'm realizing I didn't do enough research into what I was getting before getting it. I loved the look of it and it was in my price range so I jumped at it without my due diligence. I naively assumed 700c wheels would be better than 26" - bigger is better, right? ALso I didn't pay a lot of attention to how the bike was put together.

      I'm seriously thinking about getting the spokes repaired and selling the bike and then looking for something more durable.

      Fortunately I have my Univega to fall back to, and if that fails, the trusty Schwinn cruiser.

      Dan

      Delete
  2. Dan,

    At least you got out to ride. Equipment replacement is unfortunately part of the game. I just noticed last weekend that I have a seriously out of round front wheel. I tried to true it, but it's waaaay out of shape. Don't have any idea what I did to it, other than my usual crash'n'bash style of riding. And none of the other wheels I have will fit, so it looks like I have to hit up the bike shop for a replacement soon.

    And congrats for the results on the challenge last week. Keeping within your calorie limits is huge - good work.

    I forgot my gloves for the ride last weekend. It was 34 degrees out and my hands were COLD to start. But once I pushed up the first big hill the metabolism fired up and I didn't think of it again.

    BTW 3" of fresh snow last night. Yippee.

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful to be able to get out and ride, and I don't mind replacing worn out equipment, but the issues I've had with this bike are getting old, fast. Since I've gotten it, I've replaced spokes 3 times, replaced the rear wheel, replaced 2 tubes and replaced the crankset - all in less than 500 miles.

      I sure hope your weather breaks soon and the warmer weather arrives without too much precipitation.

      Dan

      Delete