Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Biggest Winner Week 3

Hard to believe we are already 3 weeks into the Biggest Winner competition as part of the Corporate Challenge here in Las Vegas.  I started this competition at 435 lbs and my weight this morning is 423.2.  That's a total loss of 11.8  and a weekly change of -.5 lbs.

I've been doing well on my eating staying within my calorie goals this week, but have gone a bit overboard on the sodium on  couple of occasions.  I should know better because for the next day or two I feel swollen and bloated until I can wash the excess away.

Got on the Univega this morning to try and keep up with my riding, but that proved problematic.  The first thing I noticed was that it took more work to go the same distance compared to the diamondback.  I was OK with that, it just meant I was working harder and actually felt like I was burning more calories.  But then about the 5.5 mile mark I heard a noise from my rear wheel.  I looked down and saw a wobble and knew exactly what had happened - another broken spoke!

I am definitely not a happy camper!  Its not like I was riding over rough terrain or bounding over rocks and roots on some trail.  I was riding on nice smooth asphalt!  In fact I was actually coasting at the time.  All of a sudden it feels like my bikes are betraying me.

I need to get them attended too sooner rather than later as I have upcoming events I need to train for.  I'm taking the Diamondback wheel over to Pro Cyclery today at lunch to have the spoke replaced so I can at least get back on the road for a bit until I figure out a better solution.

3 comments:

  1. Dan,

    That has to be really frustrating. I know you're putting a load on those wheels, but they should be able to stand up to it. Heck, I read about a guy who was almost 600# and rode his bike back to fitness. If his wheels could stand up to it, yours should have no problem.
    Maybe ask your bike shop if there are heavy duty spokes you could use. Or check on TJ's suggestion about 36 spoke wheels. Maybe ask the question on mtbr.com's 'clydesdale' forum.

    Hope you get it figured out soon. Riding season is (probably) just around the corner.

    And yes, there was more fresh snow when I woke up this morning. Dammit.

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have thought they should have stood up to it as well. I did talk to the LBS and we are looking into a 36 spoke rear wheel. His wheel builder wasn't available so I'll be going back to talk to him on Friday. One of the big problems is going to the larger diameter (700 C) and the stock wheels are fairly light and flexible. A secondary consideration is the weave of the spokes and they are talking about using longer spokes and a 4x cross pattern instead of the usual 3x - basically it reduces the load carried by each individual spoke and makes a stronger wheel.

    As for riding season - its here! We are in the mid to upper 70's all week.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mid 70's??!?!? It's snowing outside my window right now (yeah, April Fools from Mother Nature). Supposed to get into the 40's this afternoon though...

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete