Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mark your calendars - May 11, 2013

I've been thinking about this for a while and finally talked to my wife about it today.  We are taking this journey towards better health together.  Today I asked her to do our first 5K together.  I am both excited and terrified at this prospect.

The 5K in question is the Las Vegas 5K which is run on the south end of the Las Vegas Strip and passes the iconic "Welcome To Fabulous Las Vegas" sign.  Its said to be an easy, flat course.




I'm excited that Michele and I get to actually do this together, but terrified of the fact that right now, with my current fitness level a 5K is out of question.  My goal over the next couple of days is to adapt the Couch to 5K program to our time frame which is 15 weeks.  I will stretch the program out, repeating early weeks to get us to the 5K by the event date of May 11.

I am thinking that we should be able to complete this 5K in under 45 minutes and I'm hoping for under 40 minutes.  Now those of you who are runners are thinking "piece of cake" but you have to remember, right now I couldn't make it to the end in an hour.

I know it will take a lot of work and dedication to get us there but we will make it.  Antone out there want to join us on May 11th???