Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Just do it!

Here I am, sitting and reading blogs and posts and facebook updates by a bunch of totally awesome individuals like Cyn, Robin, Gene, Fatty, etc. and realizing that there is a lot to be said for the Nike slogan. It sums up the entire philosophy that most active people have is just 3 little words.  Sure we can plan and think about and fret over work outs and gear and conditions and time, but it all boils down to one thing - to have fun, to be active doesn't take all of that, all it takes is to "Just DO It!"

That's what I need to do. put all excuses away and get out and do it.  No more waiting for this or"I'll do that once I..."  I just need to get out there and do it.

Sure having goals and dreams and things I want to strive for are very important to me, but I know I can set all the goals and write all the plans I want, but unless I actually get out there and work on it and have fun, then I'll never get there.

I tend to worry about too many details.  I tend to allow myself to take the easy path.  As I was catching up on Gene's awesome blog, I ran across this post and I am taking it to heart.  I know he in uncomfortable with the whole being an inspiration thing, but he truly is.

So, from now on, I am going to just do it.

You might ask, just exactly what "it" is, and I can't tell you exactly, other than it is to be more active than I currently am.  It is to ride my bike at least 5 days per week.  It is to concentrate on eating the right foods in the right portions.  It is to complete at least one century ride before June 1, 2011.  It is to complete both the RAGE and Pumpkinman Triathlons this coming year.

Now I have to start planning on how to work this into the rest of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are going to "DO IT" saying your going to is the first step in actually doing it but I am not telling you something you dont already know. Glad you liked my post! Keep up the good work Dan!

    Gene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more that saying it and then doing it are 2 distinct steps. I wish my circumstances were different so I could do the bike commute to work! I have to bring my Grandson to school everyday and I certainly wouldn't want to expose him to the risks of the bike commute, especially with the crazy drivers here in Las Vegas!

    Also, I've signed up for the Tour De Cure here in Las Vegas in April. Not sure on which distance yet as I'm planning on doing a Triathlon the following weekend and they don't have the routes confirmed yet either.

    Keep up the good work yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the first thing I've been saying to myself each morning before exercising--"Just Do It." It's not easy, but those words are very powerful. I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete