Saturday, April 13, 2013

A Saturday Ride, With Wind!

I had been planning on getting a few miles in this weekend.  I had obligations yesterday which precluded a morning ride, so I figured this morning would be a great time for a ride.  I had thought of surpassing last weekends 20 miles.  Last night I checked the weather and the forecast for the morning was for light winds in the 5 to 10 mile an hour range, temps in the low 70's and sun.

So I got ready to head out this morning a little after 8:00 and imagine my surprise when I heard some strong wind gusts.  I didn't think much of it.  I checked my spokes, put air in my tires, put on my helmet and set out.  The gusts weren't bad heading up my street.  I made the turn out onto Blue Diamond and the true nature of the wind hit me.  It seems stating about 8:00 the winds kicked up to 20 mph sustained and gusts up intot he 30's from the SSW and I was pedaling West.  Right into the wind.

I decided to just keep the cranks turning for a bit and see what happened.  After 30 minutes I took a break, checked my Garmin and saw that I had only gone about 4 miles.  I rested for a minute then got back to it.  I made it to the junction with HWY 159 almost 15 minutes later.  I was done.  I was tired of fighting the wind and it was time for the pay off - downhill with the wind.  I made the turn and didn't really have to pedal most of the way back.

Looking at the Garmin record of the ride, I made it back in under 10 minutes and hit 31.4 mph - all without pedaling!  It sure helped the average speed for the ride. :)

3 comments:

  1. Dan,

    Headwinds are a test, that's for sure. I ended up riding right into the wind on a rail trail ride last week. It wasn't bad in the woods, but as soon as the trail went out into cleared farmland the wind was right in my face. Still turned out to be a nice ride - they almost all are.

    Keep on riding.

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steve!

      Yep, any day you can ride is a better day than most! I don't mind a challenge but sometimes it does get a bit ridiculous. :)

      Glad to hear you got out there, though.

      Let's hope the weather is finally heading towards "spring" for most people so everyone can get out and enjoy the ride!

      Dan

      Delete
  2. I rode straight into the 35 mph winds today. It SUCKED. I managed a 14.2 mph average over 30 minutes and I had to be happy with that. It was ragged....

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete