Wednesday, August 28, 2013

August Challenge Day 28 Ride 28 and a question of etiquette

It was another lovely morning for a ride.  I've been very lucky this month with my morning rides.  The temps were in the low 70's and there was a light southwest breeze.

I saw a rabbit again this morning.  He was sitting in the middle of the street as I turned onto Westchester.  He sat frozen for a minute trying to decide if I was real I think, then decided I was and went running under the bushes.

The three women walkers/joggers were out again this morning.  The were actually out on my first lap.  This is where the question of etiquette comes in.  They walk the same basic route as I ride, but in  counter clockwise direction while I am riding in a clockwise direction.  Obviously this means we pass each other frequently depending on timing.  This morning it was 8 times as on two of the laps they were on the walking path between the subdivisions while I was on the street.

Now the first time we usually say good morning to each other and once or  twice it might be a "good job" or "well done", but on many of the other occasions we end up smiling and nodding to each other.  The last time we pass we usually say "have a good day" and that's it.  My question is in regards to those times in between when we pass and really don't have much to say during that 2 to 3 second encounter.  What should I do?  Do I continue to nod and smile like and idiot?  Is there some point of etiquette that I'm missing that says what should happen on those other passes?

I would love feedback as to what others do in this situation.  I can't be alone in this.

Oh yeah, this morning takes me over 200 miles for the month!!!

As for stats:

10.4 Miles
45:12 Elapsed Time

Month to date:

28/28 rides
206.3 Miles
16:24:43 Elapsed time

Get on your bikes and ride!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment