Tuesday, July 16, 2013

It truly is an adventure...

When I decided to start this blog over 3 years ago, I was trying to decide what to call it.  I knew that a lot of what I would write about was riding my bike as I had fallen in love with riding again after many, many years.  I also knew that this blog would be more than that.  In order to ride more and enjoy it more I needed to lose weight and get healthier than I was.  There just was no 2 ways about it.  In order to ride more, and as a side effect of riding more, I knew that my weight had to change.  It has, but not nearly as much as it should.

Its truly been an adventure over these last 3 1/2 years in that I've had my ups and downs in both achievements and in my weight and fitness levels.

Unfortunately I've been on a bit of a down lately.  I haven't been watching what I eat as I should.  I haven't been riding and being as active as I should and my current weight shows it.  I have not been on a scale since I completed the Biggest Winner challenge back in May, but I know my weight has gone up by how my clothes are fitting, by how I look in the mirror and how I can feel the extra weight walking up the stairs.

Am I back to my heaviest, no.  Have I gained 15 or 20 lbs?  Probably.  There has been a real lack of motivation to get up at 4:00 am and get on my bike.  I like to kid myself and say I'll do it later, but later never comes.  I've told myself every excuse in the book - I'm tired, its too hot, its too windy, I'll do it tomorrow, my back is sore, I don't feel good... on and on and on.  the reality is these are all just excuses for me to stay in bed or to stay in my chair with my feet up, watching TV or playing on my computer.

The irony is I spend a good deal of time reading about other's adventures and accomplishments on the bike or getting fit and healthy while not doing it myself.  That has to change.  not tomorrow, not next week but today.

I know from experience that huge changes all at once don't work for me and are not sustainable in the long run.  I've drastically changed my diet and it usually last 4 to 6 weeks or so and then I get bored and feel too restricts and just go back to overeating unhealthy foods.  I've started rigorous, daily exercise regimens for them to fall apart after a week or two.

My goal for the next week is to start tracking my foods again and limit my portion sizes to stay withing a 2300 calorie a day allotment.  I'm also going to wear my fitbit daily and increase my steps to at least 5000 per day for the next week.  Along the way I plan on getting more miles in on my bike, going back to my goal of at least 3 days per week and hopefully more.

I am not getting younger, nor am I getting healthier with my current routine so now its time to apply myself and do what I need to do to get it done.

2 comments: