Monday, July 22, 2013

I fought the law and I won

That is Newton's first law of motion which states, and I quote:
An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force. An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
Basically I was at rest, nice and snug in my bed when the alarm went off.  I rolled over, turned it off and even went so far as to reset the alarm for 5:25 thinking that I was going to remain at rest.  Then I started fighting.

I fought my own excuses for not doing what I know is right.  The thoughts went through my head:

"I'm too tired."

"I have a slight headache."

"I can do it tomorrow and still make 3 days this week."

I fought each one with logic and desire:

"You won't be any less tired if you go back to sleep."

"That's no excuse, it will probably go away as soon as you are up and moving."

"Tomorrow never comes."

In the end I won and got myself out of bed, got dressed and went out for a ride.  Once I was out on my bike I was feeling much better.  I was certainly glad I didn't give in to my excuses.

I ended up riding a good 10 miles this morning at an average of 13.5 mph.  Not bad for such an early morning.

4 comments:

  1. Well done! Most people, including me, rolled back over and slept. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I decided this week that since 4:00 am 4 days per week hasn't been working, I was going to shoot for every other day so I can get some sleep. :) Mondays and Wednesdays are going to be my early days. I'm only working M-Th so I can still ride Friday/Saturday/Sunday too.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan,

    Fight the good fight! Inertia can be an overwhelming opponent sometimes. Glad to hear you're doing what you know needs to be done. Keep up the good work.

    Good luck fighting the heat. I really don't envy you having to deal with that particular problem. We've been uncharacteristically cool here this summer - it was down to 50 degrees last night. And the rain has been nuts - all the dirt trails are muddy messes.

    Hope to check in a bit more regularly now. Keep on riding!

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Daniel, that's how we do.

    ReplyDelete