Wednesday, July 17, 2013

it's 4:00 AM...

and I just got out of bed.  My alarm went off to let me know my time for sleeping was done and now I had to make good on my commitment to get back to doing what I need to do.  In the dark I find my cycling clothes and get dressed by feel.  I head downstairs and grab my Garmin Forerunner, take a long drink of water and get my last stick of gum from the pack.  You might wonder why I would get a stick of gum.  Well its pretty dry here in the desert southwest and a friend of mine (thanks Mary!) told me how chewing a stick of gum can keep your mouth from going as dry as the desert while you are working out.

I head into the garage and pump up my tires to the recommended max of 83 PSI, grab my helmet and gloves, switch on my Garmin and open the garage door.  I roll out to the end of the driveway where I turn on my head and taillight, put on my helmet, slip my hands into my gloves and get ready to go.  I notice that while its not exactly cool, its not baking hot either  A check of the temp shows its 79 degrees.

I mount my bike, hit start on my Garmin and off I go.  My goal for the morning is just to put in some relatively easy miles to ease back into the regular riding routine.  The first lap around my 1 mile loop is uneventful aside from the number of cars driving on the street.  Normally I'll see 2 or 3 cars in an entire morning ride.  This morning, everyone seems to be up trying to beat the heat as there were 5 cars in my first lap.  Not a lot by any means, but each is its own cause for concern as I know they aren't expecting anyone riding at this time of day.

I get into a pretty good rhythm for the first 3 or 4 laps, but I notice that my left knee is starting to hurt.  Not sure what that's about but I keep on going.  At lap 5 I realize that only riding 10 miles in the last 6 weeks has taken a toll on my endurance and my legs are starting to feel it.  I keep pushing, knowing that I'm not breaking any speed records but also knowing that all of the effort will make me stronger.

On lap 6 my hands are tingling on the bars.  This is where I really start to understand how regular riding does condition your body.  Laps 7 and 8 were my slowest and were work, but not insurmountable  I decided a nice 8 mile ride was a good place to start on rolled into the driveway at the end of the 8th lap.  Looking at my Garmin, I had travelled 8.28 miles in 37 minutes for a 13.3 mph pace. Not Bad.

This is the restart of getting myself into a better place physically.

Keep on riding!