Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Decision made - focus on riding

For the last several days I have been toying with the idea of possibly competing in the Pumpkinman Sprint Triathlon coming this October.  I've been looking at where I am and where I want to go fitness-wise and trying to decide if I want to put my limited time over the next few months into a multi-sport effort, or if I want to focus on one sport.  I've decided to focus on one sport for this year, but I will do Pumpkinman in 2014.

With the upcoming rides and a few more I want to do in the next year, I think I should focus on improving both my speed and stamina on the bike.  I want to get to a point where the 100 MON next year is no problem.  I want to be able to do the Tour De Cure and other events without being the last rider.  In order to do that I have to be more disciplined and focused on riding.  Besides I enjoy riding so much more than running that I'm more likely to do it.

I've spent a lot of time over the last few day reading other's report on rides they've done.  From Fatty's epic 10 part (so far) report of the Rockwell relay (Part One here) to a few of the other teams reports like team Crankenstein and Team Keep It Clean.  I've also read all of the 100 MON reports that Fatty has posted.  These have all inspired me to ride more.

Add to those stories various journals on Crazy Guy On A Bike and there is a real desire to improve my ability to ride longer distance and to experience more of this country from my saddle.  Andy Peat's journal of going south from SanDiego through Central and South America is really inspiring.  Especially his images from Macchu Picchu.  Mark and Julie Lovegood's Transam journal on a Pinot tandem is inspiring as well.  All the people they've met and the kindness shared restores my faith in the goodness of people.  Then there is Bobby and Thane's journal of their Transam journey.  Their insights and passion for meeting the people and rejoicing in the freedom and ability to tour is infectious.  That they are from Michigan makes them kindred spirits.that they only met less than a year before starting their tour is just astounding and shows great faith in each other.

These journals make me want to improve my abilities so I can get out there on the road and experience some of this first hand.

So Starting now, I have new goals and a plan for improvement.  Acknowledging that it is just too blasted hot to ride during the day, I will get out at least 3 times per week for the next couple of months.  These will be early morning rides to hopefully beat the heat.  Once we have some cooler weather, probably about mid-September,  I will be increasing this to 5 rides per week.  I am still planning on hitting my goal of riding 2013 miles this calendar year.  I realize I am a bit behind where I wanted to be, but there is still 1/2 a year to make that up.

Get out there and ride your bike!

2 comments:

  1. CGOAB has inspired me for years. Great reads. Did you read the one about the guy who rode across the country and turned around and rode back? I can't remember his name but his bike was named Banas....strange that's what I remember.
    I've read so many journals but have never posted one myself. I have never carried a computer with me on tour but this summer I have a small notebook that I am going to pack, so maybe I'll post up as tj sez' I never get to do one of those real long tours that you see on CGOAB. Two week summer trips are all I can get away for now, but retirement is a long hill still in front of me but I can see the top now!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by.

    I look forward to reading your journal of your tour. I know it can get addicting and I look forward to it, but not for a couple of years, at least. I like your approach for getting my feet wet in the touring arena.

    Keep on riding!

    ReplyDelete