Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Goal Oriented???

I'm starting to think that I am more goal oriented than I thought I was.  It seems without some goal for some event my motivation is lacking.  Sure I love to ride and have fun, but without a goal of some event, that doesn't seem to be enough to get me out of bed at 4:00 AM.

I have a goal to ride the RTC Viva Bike Vegas 2013 Gran Fondo Pinarello in September and I am stoked that my dad is training to do it with me, but at 17 miles I don't have a need to really do a lot of training to get ready for it.

I'm also looking to the Bike MS: Vegas Challenge 2013 on November 9 & 10 of this year. I would do the 30 mile ride on each of the 2 days.  This will take some training and will be tough, but its far enough away that I don't feel the urgency to help motivate me at the moment.

So, I have been looking around and realized that the Pumpkinman Sprint Triathlon will be happening in October and that is something I can work towards.  Since I haven't done any swimming and very little (OK none) running since I last did this in 2010 (read about it here) I have a bunch of work to do if I am going to do this and beat my 3:30 time from then.  While this is certainly motivation to get out there and do the work, I'm still not totally committed to doing this event.

So I am going to continue to weigh the pros and cons for doing the Pumpkinman and see how that would mesh with preparation for the Bike MS event and decide over the next week or so whether or not to commit to it.  If I do, I will have to adapt the C25K to may 16 weeks to the event to work on my run, I will need to start scheduling time to get in the pool and get my swimming back up to an OK level, and I'll need to work on climbing on my bike in order to conquer the climb up to Boulder City.

Even if I don't I need to get back on my bike and get fit.  Its as simple as that.

4 comments:

  1. Dan,

    That heat would pretty much stop me from riding. I can stand the 90's but any higher temps and hyperhydrosis makes it so that I sweat more than I can comfortably drink.

    Thankfully we've had a fairly cool season so far. I'm also thankful for the forest, whose trees give me blessed shade!

    Keep on riding!

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, the heat is really oppressive at the moment. I'm hoping we'll get some relief, soon! regardless, I will be riding more, just limiting the time and distance and when I can get out there.

      I envy your cool forest tracks right about now! :)

      Dan

      Delete
  2. Dan,
    I don't have any idea what it is like to ride in the heat you are going through. Even in the summer it is just not hot here.
    I am VERY grateful for that! I am leaving on my tour in a couple of weeks and the last three days will be in New Mexico, that's when I will find out!
    Keep after it, you are riding at 4AM in hotter temps than I see in the "heat" of the day!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim,

      Thanks for stopping by. The heat can be oppressive, but fortunately your body does adapt a bit. Right now, though its not been cooling off much, even in the overnights. Monday on the way in to work at 6:20 am, my car showed it was still 100 on the freeway.

      Looking forward to reading about your tour.

      Dan

      Delete