Monday, January 6, 2014

2013 is done, bring on 2014

OK, I guess its almost a requirement for anyone who is writing a blog to post a year end wrap up and look forward to the New Year. So here is mine.

2013 saw me participate in several events, all of a cycling nature.  The first was the Tour De Cure where I was totally unprepared for the difficulty of the hills on the chosen course and I had my only DNF.  Next was Fatty's 100 Miles of Nowhere where I completed a metric century of which I am very proud..  After that was the Viva Bike Vegas, which I got to ride with my dad and is the highlight of my year.  Last was the BIKE:MS challenge where I completed the 30 miles day one ride with no problems.

Unfortunately I didn't hit my mileage goal for the year and the only one to blame was myself.  In fact I was just shy of 1000 miles for the year.

The year ended with a bit of a health scare and 4 days spent in the hospital.  Seems I had a bit of an intra-abdominal bleed which caused my blood pressure to drop dangerously low.  Among the effects from this was a temporary shut down of my kidneys and very low hemoglobin.  The good news is that 4 days of IV fluids, some antibiotics, iron and potassium and I was well enough to head home.  Unfortunately 4 days of bed rest has left me bloated, stiff and hardly able to walk, but that is improving day by day.

This was a wake up call and I am actually seeking out a new primary physician and have an appointment coming up this Friday.  Time to start taking my health seriously. One major issue is my weight which has unfortunately gone back up.  On 1/2 I weighed myself and was not happy - 470.4 lbs.  I know several of the pounds are from the fluids I still have to work out of my body, but its still a horrible number. Time for a serious commitment to doing what I know is right.

We have joined a new Planet Fitness opening near our house very soon and will be spending quality time there several days per week.  I will also get back on my bike and get more miles in this year.  I'm aiming high again - 2014 in 2014.

As for organized events, the only one I have planned so far is the Tour De Cure ride coming up the first weekend in May.  I hope to redeem myself after last year's poor performance.  The main focus will be losing weight and getting healthy as the title of the blog goes.

I hope everyone has a healthy and active Year.

Get on your bikes and ride!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment