Tuesday, September 3, 2013

September challenge

This September I've challenged myself to ride at least 240 miles.  That would be my highest mileage month by 20 miles or so.  That will be quite an achievement.  Along the way I'm going to be riding the 17 mile Viva Bike Vegas Gran Fondo Pinarello on September 21st with my father.

Now, I have to give him big props.  He also met my August challenge, riding every day during the month and beat my total miles by completing 222.6 miles for the month!  Outstanding job!  The important point here is that he turned 71 last week.  I can't say how proud I am of him for doing that.

He is worried about the distance for the coming Viva Bike Vegas ride, but I keep reminding him that he can do it and that its not a race.  We can stop and rest as much as we need to along the way.  I think he would like to take on my September challenge as well, but he will be driving out here to Vegas from Michigan and then driving back so for 8 to 10 days he won't be on a bike.

Now, I would be remiss if I didn't also mention that my mom took my August challenge and met it but in her own way.  She doesn't ride, but she committed to walking at least 20 minutes each day on the treadmill and she did it!  Way to go Ma! I won't mention her age, but she might be 2 or 3 years older than my dad. :)

She is also not taking on my September challenge due to the trip out here this month.  I do know she will be walking every chance she gets, though.

So, anyone else want to commit to a mileage total for September?

Regardless, please get on your bikes and ride!

3 comments:

  1. Dan,

    I am sorely tempted to join you for a mileage challenge in September. My hesitation is based on how busy I get as fall approaches, combined with the uncertainty of September weather. But I'm thinking about it...

    Gotta say that I was really impressed with your commitment for the August challenge - but the effort your parents put in is even more impressive! It must be so much easier to just sit back when you're in your 70's - but they set a goal, and went after it. I hope I can keep up that activity level in 20 years.

    What the hell - I'll join the September challenge. I hope to get in a bunch of singletrack (which are always lower mileage rides for me), so I think I'll pick a fairly low number so as not to shoot myself in the foot right off the start. I'll set the target at 200 miles and see if I can reach it.

    Thanks for the motivation.

    Keep on riding!!

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked at my mapmyride page for September. Three days in a row of singletrack (though one was a very short ride due to a mechanical) leaves me with 7.7 miles so far. Not a great start, but a start.

      Hope to get in some rail trail miles today. I'll stop back every now and then and let you know how it goes.

      Steve Z

      Delete
    2. Steve,

      That's awesome! based upon your August numbers I'm sure you can do the 200! I look forward to hearing how its going and watching your progress via map my ride.

      Dan

      Delete