Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Reflections on my 51st birthday...

Its been over 3 years that I've been posting to this blog and honestly, I've not made much progress towards my title's goal of losing weight and getting healthy.  In the last 3 years I have done some thing I never would have imagined.

I've completed a very challenging triathlon, I've ridden more miles than I can count, I've completed several group rides including Last year's Viva Bike Vegas, a metric century for Fatty's 100 MON 2013 and The previous year's Corporate challenge bike race.

Over the last 3+ years I've lost and regained over 200 lbs.  I've restarted my efforts numerous times and am restarting again.  Today.

More importantly I've figured out a few thing about myself and made a few friends through this wonderful medium of technology.

I've ridden along with so many other riders who have accomplished significant, awe inspiring things.  I've also re-ignited my love of cycling fro when I was a kid.

As I reflect back on the these things, I also have to look forward and start to shape my future plans.

This Saturday I'm looking forward to an awesome ride with my dad in the Viva Bike Vegas.

Beyond that I'm doing the Bike MS Vegas Challenge in November, the Tour De Cure Las Vegas next April and I hope to complete Fatty's 100 MON next year as well with a true Century.

While those are personal goals, I have others as well. I want to encourage my grandchildren to ride more and take them on longer and longer rides.  I am going to look into adding a different form of riding to my repertoire - Mountain Biking.  As I become at least a little proficient in that, I'm going to look into the local MTB scene and possibly look at starting some type of MTB team in the local schools.

There is so much more I want to accomplish and I recognizer that I need to be healthy for many years to do it.  Riding is just not enough.  I need to tackle the food demon that has me constantly eating more than I should.  I need to keep away from those foods I know that are bad for me and focus on the good.  I need to also focus on portion control and impulse control.  I can and will conquer this.

Funny, but it seems easier to me to ride 100 miles than to constantly focus on what I'm eating.  I guess the reason is that when you are riding there is a set distance and a beginning and an end and the progress is very real and self evident.  In the eating arena and losing weight, there really is no end to the eating right and the progress is so much slower that it is easily doubted.

I am using this occasion to get back on track and into the groove  My goal is that on my 52nd birthday I will be at least 100 lbs lighter than I am right now.

As fizzhog so eloquently puts it.

Eat better.

Ride your bike.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Dan!

    Yeah, its a serious battle, this fitness thing. I'm starting to get a handle on keeping regular exercise, and I'm kinda on top of the diet part - but it's a constant thing to keep motivated. I'm starting to think though that it's all about habits - getting in that ride-a-lot habit isn't much different from getting in that eat-a-lot habit (or it's opposite).

    Anyway, good luck. I hope you tackle the diet issue as head-on as you have the exercise one. One of the bonuses you have is that you already KNOW you can do it. Now to make those good habits permanent.

    Glad to hear that you're considering trying riding some dirt. It's a lot of fun, even if you ride like a 50 year old rather than a 20 year old!

    Sending extra karma your way.

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Steve!

    I'm thinking I need to trim some of the weight before trying the dirt, otherwise the bike won't do well. :) I've broken spokes on flat pavement, I can only imagine what would happen if I started riding over some rough ground.

    Thank you for your encouragement. I know I can do it, I just have to do it.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Daniel. Losing weight is hard. I have fought it all my life. Good food and drink are my favorite things. I don't have any advice, really, except never give up.

    tj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TJ.


      No giving up here. Hope you are getting in some pedal time these days.

      Dan

      Delete