Thursday, May 31, 2012

Goals are sometimes very challenging

My short terms goals have been to ride at least 5 of 7 days each week.  I accomplished this 2 out of the last 4 weeks and this week my be in jeopardy after riding 4 out of 5 days.

I got up at my usual 4:00 am to get in my ride before work this morning.  I was moving a bit slow but managed to get the tires aired up and on the road by 4:15 or so.  The first lap felt good but I noticed a bunch of broken glass about 1/3 mile from the house.  I didn't think much of it having prepared for this by purchasing Kevlar reinforced tires and slimer tubes for the bike.

Unfortunately it seems my Kevlar reinforced tires and slimer tubes were no match for the broken glass someone so kindly placed on the roadway. Of course I didn't realize this until I approached the corner at 20 mph and felt the back end swerve. I tried to brake, but lost it. Fortunately just a bit of road rash on my knee and elbow and hurt pride were the only casualties(of course there was a couple walking about 1/2 block back from the corner).

So with my flat rear tire I walked the approximately half mile home.  Technically I did get out and ride this morning, if only for the short distance of 1.5 miles.  Its too early to look at the bike and see if I need a new tube or if I might be saved by the slime.  Hopefully I can get it to hold air and get out for a ride tomorrow to make my goal.

The good news is that I ended up riding 176 miles this month , which if I'm not mistaken, is the most miles I've ridden in any month, even when I was training for Pumpkinman.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man... I'm sorry that happened! Road rash is hard; broken bike confidence is even harder... Chin up, my friend!

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Even after taking that corner at least 35 times since then, I'm still a bit tentative around it.

      Dan

      Delete