Monday, May 7, 2012

Little Goals are Important

I've been missing out on one key part of my fitness and weight loss journey.  Setting short term, achievble goals.  Sure I had the long term big goal of geting down to 195.  The problem was I didn't have any particular plan to get there.

So This week I am borrowing a short term goal I read about on somone else's blog (Thanks Steve!).  I am going to set a goal to simply ride 5 of 7 days this week.

Not a big goal, but it is doable.  Also by committing to it here, I am holding myself accountble.

I'm well on my way to this goal, having ridden both yesterday and today.  So I know it is within my grasp, especially since at this point, I really only have to ride 3 of the next 5 days.

Speaking of yesterday's ride, it was my longest to date on the new steed.  I headed out along Blue Diamond road towards the town of Blue Diamond.  Its the same ride I did 2 weeks ago with the Univega.  While I was slower this week, that was partly due to stopping to make some minor adjustments along the way as well as needing to get comfortable with the different gear range.

This morning I got up and rode 8 miles around my normal training loop.  I felt really good when I was done.

2 comments:

  1. Dan,

    Heck yeah, let's hear it for small, obtainable goals! It's not so intimidating that way.

    Not guaranteeing anything, but it seems that after a short hiatus that I have my motivation back. I took half a day off work yesterday to chase high water, trying to get in a decent whitewater kayak trip, but after an hour drive found the water too high to paddle. When I got home I was in a foul mood, but forced myself to get on the bike and ride for half an hour before supper. So at least I did something - and it made me feel better - and my 5 out of 7 looks like it's going to happen this week too.

    Keep up the good work. And don't fry yourself in that hot sun.

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      Glad to hear you are motivated again! Too bad on too much of a good thing (whitewater). Congrats on the 5 out of 7 as well. This morning I rode making it 4 out of 5 so far. One more ride in the next 2 days. I'm hoping it will be tomorrow.

      Fortunately most of my riding is in the early AM so the sun isn't a factor.

      Keep riding!

      Dan

      Delete