Saturday, May 19, 2012

Weekly goal met again

This week I set myself the same goal as last week, which was to get out and ride 5 of 7 days.  Even though I didn't ride last Sunday, I was able to get out Monday through Thursday and again this morning.

Today's ride was grat.  I rode out towards Blue Diamond and didn't stop once on the way out.  I even rode the farthest I have in over a year.  My total today was 16.44 miles in 1:31.  An earlier start, cooler weather and a light breeze all combined to keep the temperatures reasonable.

It does seem that I can't getin a weekend ride without an issue,  though.  I noticed a wobble in my rear wheel which seemed to get worse as I rode.  Come to find out, I seem to have broken 3 spokes on my rear wheel.  Time to get into the LBS and have them replace the spokes and perform a tuneup.  Hard to believe, but I've got almost 120 miles on the new bike so far.

Riding 5 of 7 days does tend to allow the mileage to add up.  I managed 47.52 miles this week.  Not a bad week at all.  Hopefully I can keep up with the number of ride and increase the distance week by week.

Also this week, I had the final weigh in for the Biggest Winner competition.  While I didn't have the loss I would have liked, I did post a loss.  My final weight was 416 which gave me a 12 lb loss for the competition.  Not sure how we placed in the competition, but a loss is always good.  i'll update once they post the results.

7 comments:

  1. Dan,

    Congrats on the 5/7 week, and in getting in that long ride. Sounds like you're making some headway and setting good habits. And also contgratulations on a noticeable loss for the competition.

    I've had loose spoke issues before, but never a broken one. Now whenever I check the air in the tires I'll sweep my hand around the spokes on each side and listen for a "thunk" that means loose spoke. I've had to walk off the trail due to loose spokes before (problems with the nipples on a new wheel) so I make it a habit to check.

    When I made my Monday check on Fatcyclist, I do believe I saw a familiar name on there!!! Congrats on the guest post, very VERY cool!

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! Things are coming together.

      I knew there was an issue when there was a clunk. I couldn't immediately figure out what it was, but then noticed a distinct wobble to the rear wheel. A mile or so later, it did it again and the wobble seemed a bit worse. I took it easy the rest of the way home and upon inspection found 3 spokes had pulled through the hub and were just laying in the wheel. I'm hoping to drop the bike off at lunch to get it some needed attention.

      I am very flattered and humbled that Fatty thought my story was worth sharing. It is WAAAAAYYY COOL!

      Dan

      Delete
  2. 47.5 miles in any week is great!

    Because it's 1 more mile than 46.5, and 47.5 miles more than not riding!

    You rocked it. Keep going.

    Never give up.

    Fizzhogg
    http://2kin2k10.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks fizzhogg! You are certainly correct. I was definitely happy to have gone that far this week. I hope to keep improving and increasing the distances I travel. One day I might hit 2000 miles in a year as you have.

      Dan

      Delete
  3. Great loss!

    I found your blog from Fatty's guest post. I'm a fellow cyclist who has found a love for the open road. :) Check out my blog if you like!

    Have a great day!

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I will definitely check our your blog as well!

      Keep on riding!

      Dan

      Delete
  4. Awesome job on the cycling, the blog, and the weight loss -- keep up the good work! Feel free to share any cool bike stories you may have (same for any of your readers, too) at Saddle Americana...In either case, keep on pedaling and best of luck!

    http://saddleamericana.blog.com/submit/

    ReplyDelete