Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My New Ride!

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Univega I had been riding for the last 2 years has developed some major issues.  Its probably correctable, but beyond my skill/confidence level at this time.  I'm also not so sure investing much time and or money in a 20+ year old bike is the best idea, either.  So I talked to my wife and daughter and they agreed to buy me a new bike I had been looking at as a Father's Day present, and a bit early to boot!

Here it is:

Yes. it is a hybrid.  Its a Diamondback Edgewood LX in an XL frame.  It actually arrived on Saturday, but I wasn't able to assemble it until Monday night.  I LOVE IT!  Its great to have a bike that is the right size for me. I have it mostly dialed in, but still have a few more adjustments to make to it.

Here are the stats for the bike from bikepedia.com:

Bicycle TypeHybrid
MSRP (new)Unspecified
WeightUnspecified
SizesSM (15"), M (17"), LG (19"), XL (21")
ColorsBurgundy
Item ID23490

Frame & Fork
Frame ConstructionAluminum
Frame Tubing Material6061-T6 aluminum
Fork Brand & ModelSport Comfort Suspension, 63mm travel
Fork MaterialUnspecified
Rear ShockNot applicable

Components
Component GroupHybrid Mix
BrakesetAlloy linear brakes, Shimano EF-50 levers
Shift LeversShimano EF-51 EZ fire
Front DerailleurShimano TX50, 31.8mm top swing dual pull
Rear DerailleurShimano TX55
CranksetSR XCCT208 w/ chainguard, 28/38/48t teeth
PedalsAvenir Comfort Platform
Bottom BracketCartridge Type
BB Shell WidthUnspecified
Rear Cogs7-speed, 14 - 34 teeth
ChainKMC Z51
SeatpostAlloy Suspension, 27.2mm diameter
SaddleDB Deluxe Hybrid Double Density Base w/ Coil spring
HandlebarSteel 50mm rise
Handlebar ExtensionsNot included
Handlebar StemAlloy Adjustable Quill
Headset1 1/8" Threaded

Wheels
HubsAlloy QR
RimsSSW700 Double Tunnel Alloy, 32-hole
Tires700 x 40c Kenda Cross
Spoke BrandStainless Steel stainless, 14ga. (2.0mm)
Spoke NipplesUnspecified


As you can see it does have Shimano components, front suspension and adjustable handlebars.  It also has a suspension seat post which isn't very effective for someone my size.  I may swap that out in the future.

My first real ride was this morning and I was pleased.  At least I was pleased after I put more air in the tires. I had approximated the air pressure Monday evening as my pump with the air gauge was out of order.  The tires were greatly under inflated.  After stopping to put more air into the tires, I was able to crank out 7 miles this morning in 39 minutes.  Not the fastest, but respectable.  I still think I'm under inflating the tires and will do a proper pressure check this evening.

One other tweak I need to make is to adjust the rear deraulier so that it engages the highest gear more efficiently.  There seemed to be a struggle to get to the gear this morning.  I also need to adjust the brakes as I had one that seemed to drag.  Time and adjustments will allow me to dial it in to a very pleasing ride.

One other possible change down the road might be to the rear cassette.  Since I'm going to mostly be staying on the pavement with this bike, I'm thinking I might want to go to an 11-28.  Going to have to give it some time and miles before deciding to pull the trigger on making that change.

2 comments:

  1. Whooo-hooo! NEW BIKE!! That is always so sweet.

    Looks like a pretty good bike. If I was to sit on a 21" frame it would feel like I was on a circus bike (waay to tall). You may want to switch out that seatpost, but hold on to it for possible future use (ya never know).

    Sounds like you're keeping up a good pace. I went out and rode 10 laps around my block last night - 7.5 miles in 37 minutes - which is just about the same pace (and I felt a pretty good burn afterwards.) On my trip to the rail trail earlier in the week I was able to cover 13.5 miles in an hour, which was pretty quick for me. I am thinking about fixing up an old road bike that I've had for years - having a FAST bike for pavement might be nice.

    Keep on riding. Enjoy that new bike!

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! I am having fun on it. Unfortunately Wednesday I picked up something on my rear tire. I felt the pressure dropping over 2 miles and stoped after 6 of 8 planned. I had concerns with my weight on the tires and had Kevlar reinforced tires on the Univega. Of course since I went with the 700c wheel size, they wouldn't transfer. So I ordered a set of Kevalr reinforced tires and slime tubes. The arrived late yesterday and I'm plannning on putting the on later this afternoon.

      Hoping to get in a 12 to 15 mile ride tomorrow morning.

      Keep on riding!

      Delete