Monday, May 2, 2016

And so it begins - National Bike Challenge 2016

Yesterday was the start of the National Bike challenge for 2016.  It runs from May 1 through September 30 and the goal is to ride as much as you can, either recreationally or to commute, during that time period. You earn points which can earn you prizes from national and local sponsors of the event.  I got my first ride for this year's challenge in yesterday morning.  It wasn't very long but I enjoyed it and to be honest, it didn't wipe me out as I had feared it would with my lack of riding.

I chose to ride a bit challenging of a route as it was uphill all the way to the turn around.  I spent most of the ride out in one of my lowest gears and just grinding away, but I made it and I enjoyed the downhill on the way back, if I was a bit timid.  I did max out at 24.4 mph but with a stop sign at the bottom of the hill, I wanted to make sure the brakes were going to work well so I used them a few times on the way down. :)

My plan is to get in a ride every day that I can and to do that some days I will be riding before work and some days after.  Today will be an after day as I will be helping my grandson get his tube fixed so he can accompany me on my ride this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment