Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Ride #1

Since I assigned myself the challenge of riding 23 of 31 days in May, I knew it had to start today.  So with winds blowing, I got up and got out there this morning.  The winds were from the NNE at 18 gusting to 30.  This meant the steepest grade was into the wind.

I was actually feeling pretty good riding this morning.  It was a bit of a struggle on the one section of my route, but I was enjoying it.  That is until I ran over a small rock with my rear wheel and shortly thereafter was on a flat tire  Again.  Seems the place for my tires to go flat is around the fastest corner of my route.

Anyway, I ended up walking the bike the last 3/10 mile back to the house.  I made it over 3 miles so the ride does count for my personal May challenge, but I'm not too happy about it.  I love the lower rolling resistance of the Gatorskins, but the fact that they don't seem to handle the road debris as well as I need them too is an issue.  I think I'll be switching tires this evening so that I can have more confidence in their ability to handle the small debris which is invariably on my rides.