Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Ride #1

Since I assigned myself the challenge of riding 23 of 31 days in May, I knew it had to start today.  So with winds blowing, I got up and got out there this morning.  The winds were from the NNE at 18 gusting to 30.  This meant the steepest grade was into the wind.

I was actually feeling pretty good riding this morning.  It was a bit of a struggle on the one section of my route, but I was enjoying it.  That is until I ran over a small rock with my rear wheel and shortly thereafter was on a flat tire  Again.  Seems the place for my tires to go flat is around the fastest corner of my route.

Anyway, I ended up walking the bike the last 3/10 mile back to the house.  I made it over 3 miles so the ride does count for my personal May challenge, but I'm not too happy about it.  I love the lower rolling resistance of the Gatorskins, but the fact that they don't seem to handle the road debris as well as I need them too is an issue.  I think I'll be switching tires this evening so that I can have more confidence in their ability to handle the small debris which is invariably on my rides.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, youve had your fair share of spring tire misfortune! Could your rim be raw somewhere and that's contributing? Too little or too much tire pressure?

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sarah,

      Unfortunately this is the rear tire, this time. Its not a rim problem, its more a too much wait for too skinny of a tire problem I have a feeling. I'm going to swap the skinny Gatorskins for my old, wider tire and see if that helps. I love the lower rolling resistance of the 32 mm tires, but it's not worth it due to the flats.

      Dan

      Delete