Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Riding

There is just something about riding that I love.  I can't put my finger on it exactly, but something about being propelled forward, faster than you could walk or run, through your own power is magical.  Sure it takes work. Sure it isn't easy, especially for someone of my size, but the fact that I can do it is awesome.

I know that if I push down on the pedal, I will move forward.  I also know that if I need a short rest, I can stop pedaling and glide along for at least some short distance.  That is the truly magically component.

Add in a decent downhill grade and there is that feeling of flying that so many people have expressed when talking about cycling.

Its the magical feeling I get that gets me up at 4:10 in the morning to go for a ride.  Sure its helping me to get healthy and to lose weight, but those are really secondary to the enjoyment of riding.

I've tried riding the spin bike and I find it a chore and I find the magic missing.  I'm not going anywhere.  I can't just rest for a moment and glide along.  I'll only ride it as a last resort.

Unfortunately my lack of riding over the last 6 months has drastically cut into my fitness which has reduced the amount of time I am currently riding.  This will change with consistent riding, I know.  Losing some of the weight I gained going into and through the holidays will help as well.

I am actually a bit impatient with myself and the time and work its taking to regain some of the fitness and endurance I had last year.  I need to start pushing harder and longer to get to where I want to be.  I want to be one of those riders who can knock out a century ride on the weekend on a whim.  I'm no where close at this point.

I do have one goal in mind for this year.  That will be to ride from my house up to Mountain Springs and back. There is some serious climbing along the way, but I know, if I stick to the training and do the consistent work, I can be in shape to do the ride this year.

Stay safe and RIDE!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Amen brother, you're preaching to the choir here.

    After four years of serious riding I'm in the best shape of my life. And I'm astounded to see that my riding is still improving.

    And the fun factor is what keeps me motivated. It makes me feel like a kid again. And when I'm riding on a trail my mind is so totally focused on what's ahead of me that no other worries can intrude.

    Keep on pushing yourself and having fun. Before you know it you'll be doubling your ride distance. I know I still try to push a little more as the season goes on. I had a great ride with my brother today, a couple of hours of serious singletrack. I'm really sore this evening but still smiling from the good times.

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete