Thursday, August 10, 2017

2016 100 MON straight off the couch in Las Vegas Edition

 Here is a post I started to write last year, when I did the ride, but never published:

11/12/2016

So, today was the date for the 100 Miles of Nowhere, straight off the couch in Las Vegas edition. I won my division but it was a shortened event and was more like 100 Minutes of Nowhere.  There is a lot to be said for conditioning and training when you are looking to complete an event like this.

To set the stage, I rode my bike a single time in the 6 months leading up to the event.  Not what you would call an ideal training plan.  I was also carb loading for a good 2 to 3 months before the event as well.  So you can see, I was certainly ready for the big day - NOT.

The weather cooperated with abundant sunshine, temperatures starting in the low 60's and not too much in the way of wind.  I had been scouting the area near the house for an appropriate course and settled on a tour of  the cul-de-sacs in my neighborhood.  It certainly made for an interesting Strava Track:


I chose the course, not for the art of the Strava track, but because it was right outside my door adn it was basically flat - 2 of my biggest criteria for the ride.

I started off strong but within the first 3 miles realized that I was no longer acclimated to riding a bike as it started to feel uncomfortable sitting on the seat.  In fact that was the one thing that really impacted me and helped to shorten the event - I was not accustomed to sitting on the bike seat and it hurt!

I made myself continue on and didn't take any breaks until I had completed over 10 miles of the ride.  I then headed into the house to hydrate, eat a little snack and give my rear a bit of relief.  I then went back out and completed another 7 miles or so before taking another break.  Then I completed the last 5 miles to get over 22 miles for the ride.

You might wonder why I chose that distance.  Well, I had originally hoped to do an organized ride on this day the Ride to Recovery Honor Ride, but I had never signed up, so I decided that I would ride the same distance in support of 100 Mon instead.  I'm happy I was able to do it and I know that next year I will be in much better shape and go for the whole 100.

-------------

That is what I wrote just after the ride. I had planned on going back and doing some editing and plan for the next year, but I never did.  Now, here it is 9 months later and I have only been on the bike once since then.  Time to get back on it and get ready if I have any hope of riding this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment