Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wednesday Weekly Update #1

This is the first in the series of weekly updates for my progress in losing weight and getting healthy.  I'm going to be playing with the formatting and the content of these updates, but the goal is to list what I've been doing and how things are progressing.

Today's Weight:  430.6 LBS
Weekly Loss:  3.4 LBS
2012 Loss:  3.4 LBS

I'm thinking about listing my highest and lowest calories consumed and calories burned each week, but I don't have the data right now.  Hopefully next week.

As this was a starting over week, it was a bit tough trying to keep within my newly reduced daily allowance of 2200 calories each day.  I was able to do it 4 out of the last 6 days.  My biggest intake was 2516 yesterday because I had a cupcake in celebration of a friend's birthday.  While this was over my target, it was still less than what My Fitness Pal tried to automatically set my daily calories to.  Their suggestion was 2587.

As for calories burned through exercise, that was zero for the week.  Hopefully I'll get good news Friday and I can change that for this coming week.  My biggest fear has been that if I were to exercise through the pain, I would be doing more harm and I didn't want to take that chance.

Overall that's a 3.4 pound loss for a week without exercise.  I am very happy about that!  I do find myself having to managing my expectations from watching the biggest loser where, through intense training they achieve miraculous results.  I don't have the hours to devote to exercise that they have.  I will be happy with 2 to 3 pounds per week as I head towards a healthier and lighter me!


2 comments:

  1. Heck yeah, I'd be satisfied with 2 to 3 pounds lost a week too! That kind of results will add up faster than you think, and it doesn't seem like it's such a drastic change that you won't be able to sustain it. Congratulations to you.

    I think I'd be leery of working out on a damaged knee too. I've gone through severe cartilage damage to my knee and know that it can be painful, touchy and long range trouble if not dealt with. It does make me wonder about maybe adding some upper body exercise to round out your routine - dumbell curls, or using a weight machine for presses etc (yeah - easy for me to say, but I hate weight training anymore).

    That MyFitnessPal seems a lot like the MapMyRide program I use. Keeping track of your highest calorie day might be a good idea - just to see if you're losing headway too much through an occasional higher calorie day.

    Keep up the good work.

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! It is similar, but it also allows me to track what I'm eating with a database contianing thousands of foods as well as allows me to enter my own recipes to find the nutritional content of what I'm eating along with the calories.

      I have been thinking I need to do some upper body but haven't decided what, exactly. I know some curls and presses of some sort, and I even would like to evenitually do push ups and chin ups, but right now, they aren't doable. Have to research routines to get me there.

      Thanks!

      Delete