Saturday, May 8, 2010

Another decision made…Pumpkinman!!!

OK, I’ve gone and done it now. I’ve actually told a couple of people that I am thinking about trying to complete a Triathlon in October. Specifically the Pumpkinman. Of course I will want to keep it short for my first one, so I would do the Sprint distance which is a 750 meter swim, followed by a 12.4 mile bike ride and last, but by no means least, the 3.1 mile run OK, in my case this is likely going to be more of a walk).

I’ve even taken it a step further and challenged my daughter to do it with me. She has said yes and has actually been to the gym twice in the last 4 days, but I’m not sure if her commitment will last. I hope it does as I think it would be awesome to complete this with her. Only time will tell though.

So, to make it official, and so there is no equivocating on my part – I am going to complete the Pumpkinman Sprint Triathlon this coming October.

I have to say that this Is truly a new thing for me – a public declaration of my intention. I typically like to do things much more quietly so if it becomes too much of an obstacle, I can quietly back out. This is different. I will complete this and you are along for the journey.
Being the geek/nerd that I am, I started doing some online research to find out what I should be doing in preparation for this event. I have found several training guides or plans, but most of them are for fairly “normal” people to get into shape to complete a triathlon, not someone of my, er…stature!

The good news is that I have 24 weeks between now and the triathlon to get myself into shape. It sounds like a long time, but I have a feeling it is going to fly by. I am thinking that I need to work first and foremost on my biking and endurance (according to Mary a large part of the bike leg is uphill from Lake Mead to Boulder City), then my swimming and lastly my running. I list running last because right now, knowing almost nothing, I figure at the very least I can walk the 3.1 miles to the finish.

This is somewhat reinforced by what the Fat Cyclist (http://www.fatcyclist.com/) has said about his first Triathlon he recent completed (Ironman, no less!). Essentially his position is that a good cyclist who is a mediocre swimmer and average runner can in fact more easily complete a triathlon than a great runner or swimmer who is not good on the bike. It makes sense to me logically so that is where I will focus the majority of my effort – developing my cycling.

At this point, then I need to put together a plan that will get me from my current ability (or lack thereof) to where I need to be in 24 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you and your daughter the best of luck. You've got the right attitude, knowing that the real competition is between your physical and mental attributes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I know it will be work, but my plan is steady progress and constant work towards the goal.

    ReplyDelete