Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A call to action

One of my inspirations for starting to ride my bike is the blog written by Elden aka the Fat Cyclist. He has teamed up with the Livestrong Foundation in their fight against cancer on several rides this year. I have become a virtual team member for the ride in Austin and am doing what I can to try and raise funds in support of this fight.

It’s funny, I tend to normally donate a few dollars to most of the fundraising requests that come my way, but I never really went looking for donations myself. I always figured that if I ever did put out the call, then those around me who heard would immediately answer and donate, even just a dollar or two. I have to say that I’ve found that hasn’t been the case so far.

I know there are lots of very good people out there and I know that we are all bombarded with requests on a daily basis, but I hope this is one that those who read this blog will respond to.

My wife’s mother passed away from lung cancer which spread to her brain. This happened before I even met my wife, but I was touched by it as it touched my wife and daughter so deeply having lost her.

My mother is a cancer survivor having had colon cancer and beat it.

My favorite Aunt who is a bladder cancer survivor.

A family friend recently had breast cancer and had a mastectomy and chemo and so far is cancer free.

These are all reasons that I ask you to please follow this url (http://tinyurl.com/2a3hbx9) and make a donation to the Livestrong foundation to help those who have been touched by this dreadful disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment