Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Inspiration from an unexpected source...

I was surfing the book of face today and found a picture with a quote from an actor and martial arts originator and it surprised me in that it was truly inspirational and struck a chord with me.  I have been thinking about it since I saw it and can't get it out of my head as it truly has affected me.  Here is the photo:


In case you can't read the text very easily on whatever device you may be perusing my blog on, it says:

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them."

This is a quote from Bruce Lee.  What resonates with me is that what we are truly capable of is beyond what our mind tells us we can do. Most of the limits people experience in life are limits they have self imposed because in their mind, that is all they can do. I don't care if we are talking about a physical act like lifting weights or running or cycling, or a mental one like solving a problem or being creative, our minds create limits for us and we live up to those limits.

I see this quite often when I am teaching.  Students have an idea that they can or can't do something in their minds before they even attempt to learn it and 99% of the time they are right, either way.  If they are sure they can learn it, they do.  If they are sure they can't do it, again they are usually right. What I have found is that it is very important to maintain an attitude that anything is possible and you will go so much further than you ever thought you could.  I have to remind myself of this every day.

What mental limitations have you placed on yourself that aren't true limitations?

No comments:

Post a Comment