Monday, April 16, 2012

A Nice Sunday Ride

The weather was around 70 degrees, bright sunshine and a light breeze from the east.  Beautiful weather for a ride in the desert.  OK, along a road in the desert. :) I have been getting back into the swing of riding with more regularity and this was to be my longest ride so far this year.

I aired up the tires and headed out about 11:30 am for a nice "easy" ride.  OK, it would be easy for those who are in much better shape and logging many more miles per week than I have been.  Still, it was good to be out on the bike.

I headed West on Blue Diamond road and started feeling the elevation gain.  Now to some of you power climbers out there, you'll call it more of a false flat, but to us mere mortals, it is a bit of a climb.  When I got to State Route 159, I headed north west towards the town of Blue Diamond.  I almost made it to Blue Diamond, but not quite.  My lack of riding since mid December caught up to me and I stopped at the Gypsum Mine just over 6 miles from the house.  I decided I'd had enough for the day and turned around for the fun part - downhill to home.

The relatively light tail wind I had experienced on the ride out, turned into a headwind heading home, but since it was mostly downhill, I didn't mind at all.  The ride out took 57 minutes, but the ride back was only 27 minutes for a total 12.78 miles in 84 minutes.  Looking back over my log, I did the same ride last May in only 73 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice spin. I prefer a ride where you can get the climbing done right up front and then reap your rewards (the downhill) on the way back. But getting out and doing it is what counts.

    I got in three quick laps on our tiny in-town mtb trail before Boy Scouts last night. Just over three miles in a half hour - a short ride but all I had time for. But at least I got out and did something.

    Ride on.

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - its just getting out there and riding that makes all the difference. I'm starting to really get back into the habit and find myself thinking about riding more and more. I miss it on the days I don't do it.

      Good for you getting even a short ride in. I know schedules can be tough.

      Enjoy the wind in your hair and keep the rubber side down!

      Dan

      Delete