Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Spinning

I bought a spin bike for the house. I never could figure out or trust rollers and none of the other exercise bikes in my price range seemed like they would hold up so I bought a spin bike. Spinning has taught me to be less concerned with mileage and with average speed – there is no speedometer, odometer or any other kind of meter on my spin bike. I could wear my Garmin, but it won’t show any progress – only time. That’s what I’m focusing on when I’m spinning – riding for x number of minutes at a time.




Now, granted my time on the spin bike is currently fairly short – only in the 10 minute range, but that will be increasing as I move forward. My goal is to spin at least 5 days per week.

Some people call it boring, but I find it relaxing. It gives me a chance to retreat a bit from the chaos of the house and focus only on one thing – turning the cranks. Its almost a zen-like feeling as I focus solely on what I’m doing and leave the rest to resolve itself.

I know riding the spin bike this winter will give me a new appreciation for riding my bike and actually going somewhere. Sure I’ll still be doing my training loops and out and backs, but I think I will enjoy them more.

7 comments:

  1. It's been a month since your last post - you riding that stationary bike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunatly, no I have not been riding it. I injured my knee and have been waiting for it to heal, but it hasn't. Got an appointment with an Ortho doc on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad deal - knee injuries are the worst for cyclists. Believe me, I've been there (2" tear in left meniscus, resulting in arthroscopic surgery).

    Sending healing karma your way. Good luck.

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost hate to ask, but what did the Doc say about the knee?

    Steve Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No real diagnosis yet. He took x-rays and is referring for an MRI. He did say I "might have torn something in there." Hopefully i can get the MRI and find out something. Right now its stay off it as much as possible.:( Hope you are getting out to ride!

      Delete
  5. I know all too well about injuries, having pulled a groin muscle last fall; but I recovered (as you will to) and I've been running 6.2 miles almost everyday; in fact, I logged in 142.8 miles for January - just me against the outside elements. Hang in there Dan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! Glad to hear you did recover. Now that's an impressive total for miles run in a month! I'm still waiting on the approval and referral. I hope we don't have to resort to surgery, but I've heard the surgery route might have a quicker recovery time.

      Keep up the great work!

      Delete