Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In the beginning...

In the beginning I was 492 lbs and got winded just walking from the parking lot into the building at work. In the beginning walking up the flight of stairs to the apartment left me panting and gasping for air. In the beginning I struggled to keep up with my Grandchildren. In the beginning I realized that I had to do something to make a change or my time to enjoy my Grandchildren would be cut dramatically short. So I decided to make a change.

In September of 2009 there was a weight loss competition at work called the Lose to Win challenge and I decided I would participate. I signed up for the challenge and decided that since I had experimented with a low carb diet in the past and had modest success (although once I stopped I gained back the weight twice over), that this would be the method I would use to achieve success. I thought about adding exercise, or any real physical activity to my plan, but it was basically just thought as I sat at my desk or my computer at home or on the couch (ironically watching shows like the Biggest Loser) but really did nothing.

I have achieved some success. I am down approximately 72 lbs from that start at 492. I know the weight loss has had a positive impact on my health as I am now able to walk much longer distances and I have even gotten a bike and started riding.

I think part of what has inspired me are blogs by Robin, whom I work with, and Jayne, Otherwise known as the slow fat triathlete. reading about how they have struggled and worked and met their goals has truly inspired me to get off my butt and start doing something. Along the way my co-worker Mary's triumphs in her Sprint Triathlons and reading about rides that Cynthia has taken have all helped inspire me and I just might decide to try a Triathlon in the future.

Between now and then I am going to try and put down into this blog some of the triumphs and set backs I experience along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I've been watching you melt away for the last few months and I'm really impressed! This is an amazing journey... enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robin! You are amazing and have been a large part of my inspiration to begin this journey.

    ReplyDelete