Thursday, July 22, 2010

Summer Heat...

Summer heat...
OK, its summer here in Las Vegas and its HOT! In fact the last 2 weeks have been the hottest stretch for the year. On top of that we've been very busy with heading to Michigan for the wedding, then watching the grandsons when Ilana was gone. what is all amounts to is a lack of training on my part. Unfortunately I've only ridden 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

I really think it has to do more with the heat than anything else. I mean when its 95 degrees at 4 o'clock in the morning as you head out to ride, it tends to discourage one from expending too much energy. Forget about doing any training in the heat of the day. I sweat just walking from the building to my car!

Now, I don't know if its a result of having been born and grown up in Michigan where 90's in the summer are rare and single digits in the winter are common, but I'm not well adapted to the heat. I would so much rather add a layer or two and ride in 30 degree weather than I would in 100 degree weather. I've been known to not wear a coat all winter in Michigan so you can see how my body is better suited for cold than hot temps.

Swimming isn't much better when the water is like bath water. I'm planning on heading to Lake mead over the weekend and doing some open water swimming (or flailing as the case may be) but I heard the water temp is 83 degrees at Boulder Beach. How is that supposed to be refreshing? Of course if the air temp is in the 112 degree range it is 30 degrees cooler...

Suffice it to say I am struggling to get my training in with the temps over 100 adn I'm trying to re-motivate and dedicate myself to getting out there and getting it done. I have just realized that the Pumpkinman Triathlon is a mere 13 weeks away and I have a lot of work to do between now and then.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh.. heat in the 90s was the norm in Windsor, but that could be because we were surrounded by shallow water.
    Keep in mind as well that you're pretty well insulated. It will make the heat a bigger deal. Sounds like you need a hot weather training routine.

    ReplyDelete